Wednesday, June 30, 2010

WC2010 Ear Worms



Are you wavin' flag?

Just killing some time between matches and I gotta say I'm finding the music of the World Cup pretty dang catchy. The big two have gotta be Knaan's "Wavin' Flag" and of course, the official song of the WC, Shakira's "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)".


Wavin' Flag by Somali-Canadian K'naan went from album single, to Canadian Haitian relief song, to Coca-Cola's World Cup jingle. If you believe the marketing it's topped the charts in 11 countries. It's got bilingual versions in 15 languages. Check out the Arab version here. K'naan, I can't get your tune out of my head. It's like the perfect afro-reggae-pop (insert-your-cause-here) anthem.


And what's not to like about Shakira? As of this writing the english version of Waka Waka has 56 million views on the YouTubes. The spanish video's even better... love all the Barça player cameos. Apparently she texts with Messi.


How bout ESPN's WC theme music (4:20 in this clip... and no, I'm not talking about U2) Not sure if it's the shear repetition or because I associate it with watching matches but I'm diggin it. Apparently other people are too. Check out a little behind the scenes on it's creation here.

Yeah... how long til the Netherlands v. Brazil kickoff?

3 comments:

LK said...

Wavin' Flag should win a Nobel Peace prize.

LK said...

P.S. Waka waka definitely sounds better en español. Viva Shakira! This time for España... or Argentina.

KC said...

Every song about staying "forever young" gives me goosebumps...I want to go wave a flag!